Funding body: Irish Road Safety Authority
Collaborators: National Roads Policing Bureau, Dublin City Council, Cycling Ireland, Irish Cycling Advocacy Network
Description: Statistical & engineering analyses of cyclist road traffic collisions (RTCs).
- Collection of novel data for cyclist RTCs using 1) a nationally distributed survey, & 2) police forensic investigation files.
- Inferential and descriptive statistical analyses, & definition of common collision scenarios [4,6,7].
- Video-based assessment of causative factors for single cyclist/bicycle falls, and development of a predictive modelling tool for Surrogate Measures of Safety (SMoS) (SafeCross) .
- Development of a physics-based 3D 6DOF human pose estimation approach (KinePose) for assessment of human kinematics and dynamics in falls [1,2,3].
- KinePose: A temporally optimized inverse kinematics technique for 6DOF human pose estimation with biomechanical constraints, K. Gildea, C. Mercadal-Baudart, R. Blythman, A. Smolic, C. Simms - Irish Machine Vision & Image Processing Conference (IMVIP) (2022)
- Temporally optimized inverse kinematics for 6DOF human pose estimation, K. Gildea, C. Mercadal-Baudart, R. Blythman, C. Simms - Congress of the European Society of Biomechanics (ESB) (2022)
- Towards computational modelling of active response in cyclist falls from in-the-wild footage, K. Gildea, C. Simms - Congress of the European Society of Biomechanics (ESB) (2022)
- Characteristics of fatal and serious cyclist collisions in Ireland: Analysis of police investigation files, K. Gildea, A. Kervick, C. Simms - International Research Council on Biomechanics of Injury Europe (IRCOBI Europe) (2022)
- Video-based assessment of cyclist-tram track interactions in wet road conditions, K. Gildea, C. Mercadal-Baudart, B. Caulfield, C. Simms - International Cycling Safety Conference (ICSC) (2022)
- Configurations of underreported cyclist-motorised vehicle and single cyclist collisions: Analysis of a self-reported survey, K. Gildea, D. Hall, C. Simms - Accident Analysis & Prevention (2021)
- Characteristics of cyclist collisions in Ireland: Analysis of a self-reported survey, K. Gildea, C. Simms - Accident Analysis & Prevention (2021)
- An investigation into the effects of European vehicle type testing regulations on cyclist injury occurrence, G. Li, K. Gildea, M. Wisch, O. Zander, C. Simms - International Research Council on Biomechanics of Injury Asia (IRCOBI Asia) (2020)
- Cycling related major trauma in Ireland, J. Foley, M. Cronin, L. Brent, T. Lawrence, C. Simms, K. Gildea, J. Ryan, C. Deasy, J. Cronin - Injury (2019)
Blog | LinkedIn | Twitter | Google Scholar | ORCiD | GitHub